Monday, March 8, 2010

82nd Airborne Division In Afghanistan: We've Got A Problem

"With the conditions and treatment at this remote Spanish base. Among other things it sucks having to dig our aircraft out of the mud. Gravel? what damn gravel. Time is of the essence in MEDVAC missions." (My take)

Via Michael Yon
Monday, 08 March 2010
Kandahar, Afghanistan

Yesterday, an American involved in the war effort handed me a document. It was an email from a Lieutenant Colonel in the 82nd Airborne Division in Afghanistan. His unit is in combat seven days a week. To be clear, I did not get the email from the officer and I have never met him.

The email is about the abysmal, unsafe conditions which some of our most dedicated troops are living in, at a remote base run by the Spanish military in Afghanistan. All deletions [xxx] are by me. I have the entire email. The serious and disturbing allegations are found in the second and third paragraphs.

Please note, that the failure to support permanent US troops at this Spanish base constitutes real negligence about their ultimate safety. And that comes on top of a degree of harassment that is shocking among allies.

The message begins:[More...]
Read it all. I hope this problem will be solved now or sooner than now. I sent off emails to my reps. this a.m. Thankfully, Yon is also making sure Secretary Gates gets wind of this.

h/t Death Star who has a few choice words to say on this matter.

Cross posted at Jawa Report

No comments: