DETROIT -- The mother of a student at Phoenix Multicultural School on Detroit's southwest side is defending her son he was charged with discharging a so-called "Drano bomb" inside the building.I was curious if there was info on the net explaining how to make one. Yup, complete with videos.
The explosive device, made of household cleaning chemicals, went off in the hallway of the building at about 8:30 a.m., sending fumes into the air, said a school official. School officials said no students were injured because they were all inside classrooms. However, a seventh-grader, who did not want to be identified, said the explosion on the third floor knocked her down and injured her.
"The boom went off and I flew into a locker. I tried to block my face but it hit my arm instead," she said.
"The device itself could have caused a lot of damage if there were a lot of children around when the device actually went off. Those types of bombs are very, very unstable," said Inspector Don Johnson with the DPD Bomb Squad.